How do I know if there is a snow emergency?
There are several ways to know when a snow emergency is in effect.
- Check the city's website at romi.gov.
- Check the city's social media accounts. (Facebook, Twitter & NextDoor)
- Call the Snow Emergency Hotline at 248-246-3442.
- Sign up for email or text alerts from the Royal Oak Police at https://www.romi.gov/1141/Sign-Up-for-Public-Safety-Alerts.
- Assume a snow emergency will be declared when the forecast calls for more than 4-inches of snow.
Avoid a ticket!
When a snow emergency is in effect for the City of Royal Oak, all vehicles on residential streets are to be removed or will be ticketed and/or towed. (The ticket is $50.) Vehicles are to remain off the streets until plow trucks have gone through the area.
The snow removal operation can't work as planned unless residents cooperate by moving their cars into driveways when a snow emergency is declared. If that happens, city snowplows can move unimpeded through residential streets and restore safe driving conditions much sooner.
What if I don't have a driveway?
If you do not have a driveway, contact the Royal Oak Police at 248-246-3500 to see if you qualify for a Snow Emergency Exemption Permit. See: https://www.romi.gov/documentcenter/view/451
Once a snow emergency is called and plowing begins, it takes approximately 24 - 36 hours to plow all city streets.