Land Changes

Land Division / Combination

Law PA 591

In January, 1997 Governor John Engler signed PA 591 of 1996. This law amended the Subdivision Control Act of 1967 (PA 288) and became effective on March 31, 1997. PA 591 changed the way property may be divided without being platted and requires certain actions on the part of local governments due to those changes.

Land Division Application

To facilitate a land division or combination of land in the City of Royal Oak you begin by making application in the Assessor’s Office. Said application is simple to complete and a fee is charged at time of submission. Fee includes a $100.00 (non-refundable) application fee.
The application will be circulated throughout the following offices and departments: Assessor’s, Treasurer’s, Planning, Engineering, and Building. After reviews, the application is returned to the Assessor’s Office for processing. If all City of Royal Oak requirements are met said application is forwarded to Oakland County for approval and assignment of new parcel numbers.


All taxes, water and sewer bills, special assessments, etc. must be paid in full prior to the City of Royal Oak finalizing a proposed land division/combination application.